Monday, May 28, 2007

ONE YEAR AGO




One year ago, on Memorial Day 2006 (May 29th),we got to meet the precious girl that was born into our hearts months before she was placed into our arms.

Nobody could have ever prepared us for this trip. We flew thousands of miles with a large suitcase that was not for us. It was for our daughter we were about to meet. It was filled with little dresses, onesies, socks, shoes, hair supplies, a swim suit, bibs and toys. Some of these were Bryan's. Some were new. Some were from her grandparents, some from friends and other family members. We did not know what we would use or what would even fit her.


I thought about this time last year for along time last night while I was trying to fall asleep. My racing mind kept bring me back to last year and the passion George and I had for the adoption. In a sick twisted way,I miss it. There were so many highs and lows, but the highs were highs that not many people can identify with. They were really high moments. I feel like we were so lucky to have experienced all the emotions that we did. Adopting Maya was not only the right decision, but I feel like we were truly meant to do it. Without her, our family would not be complete. Bryan has already formed the perfect bond with his little sister. As busy I am multitasking everything I do lately, I do love my home life. These kids were meant to be ours!!!!!





We got to Guatemala the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend last year. We had a little time to get diapers, wipes, etc. We also had a wonderful dinner that night. We were ready to meet our daughter. The agency had told us 9am...






We were so incredibly lucky to had been connected with Holly prior. She asked if she could take pictures as we met our daughter. What she did will never be forgotten. Because of her, friends and family thousands of miles away saw pictures of us meeting Maya Grace only hours later!




This pic still brings tears to my eyes





George was so happy







Do these pictures need captions?






This is framed in our house. We just love it.












An amazing woman, Debbie, was Maya's foster mom









Meet the ladies: Holly and Gia, Kerry and Maya







This was when our facilitator, Claudia, was interpreting for Debbie. She was letting us know about Maya's daily routine...what she likes, does not like, etc. I had to post this just to say Thank God that I had taken care of a child before! I was so amazed by my little girl that she took most of my attention away from what we were talking about!






When we received Maya she was in heavy clothing which is common in Guatemala. She had sweated through her outfit awful. We headed up to the room for her first bath by Mommy and Daddy. This was her while we undressed her.






Okay, the bath did not go so hot...











Maybe because she wanted Mommy to give her a bottle!









Tickle, tickle!!! Maya now says "Tickle, tickle" herself and usually goes for my very ticklish feet! And she is actually good at it!





Please take the time to read Maya Grace's blog from Texas if you can. This is her with her Mommy Stephanie. We still talk over the computer. We both met our daughters the same weekend!





We met Candy and sweet Kya Blue






I had to post this so you can scroll down and compare her tummy then with now











She still looks at Daddy like this




The day we had to give her back, she slept a lot









We changed her into warm, Guatemalan gear for Debbie and she remained asleep.




Our last picture together that weekend. We left her with Debbie which was reassuring. Maya remained asleep. Even so, it was very difficult. George actually broke down pretty bad, so I was actually the strong one on the ride home. We left her not knowing when we would see her again. We had a lot of blind faith that she would be taken care of and come home to us soon.




*********************************************************************************************

***********************************************************************************************






















FAST FORWARD ONE YEAR TO THIS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND.......






Saturday we went to Seaside Heights. Our neighbor has a place down there and it was really NICE!









Yes, this would be THE BELLY that I was referring to above











Too bad she would not keep the hat on!









Sunday we went to little Cailin's Baptism











Sunday night Maya decided to be a ham







One year has passed and look at her today...








Bryan is glad to have you home, little girl










...and it appears that you are happy to be home!!!







Maya Grace, we love you so much. We never thought any feeling could compare to the birth of our son until the day you were put into our arms. We are the luckiest parents in the whole world to have been blessed with you and your train loving brother!



We love you,


Mommy and Daddy

9 comments:

Kerry said...

Bawling. When I looked at that picture of you all the day you gave her back, it was as I had a flashback to the day we gave Cameron back. Good Lord, that's AWFUL. I'm glad you had a great Memorial day, and I LOVE the current "belly" pics!

Mindy said...

Your post was a flashback for me of when we came to meet our sweet Mikayla Faith...and you were there...on visit trip#2. The day we had to give her back, that morning at La Vista, I couldn't even eat I was crying so hard and she was sleeping so beautifully and you came over to me and hugged me. I don't even think you said anything...you didn't have to. You knew how I felt and I have to tell you that to this day, that moment that you gave me that hug, meant the world to me. It was a hug that only another mother understanding the pain of giving back their child could give. So thank you for that moment way back when...when my world felt so bleak.

Maya is amazing. She is the picture of health anf perfection and it is clear how loved and adored she is. I am glad you had a wonderful Memorial Day. It feels so wonderful to finally be able to celebrate holidays as a "complete family." This process is one that I will never forget...nor will I forget the wondeful people, like you, that I met along the way.

Katie said...

wow --- what awesome memories this brings up for all of adoptive parents ... thanks for sharing this !! PS Love all the pics !!

HollyGee said...

Oh my, I love this post. Back then it seemed like it would be FOREVER until we had our baby girls home and now look. It would be nice to stop time and keep them small for a while longer.

She is a total poser in the church picture:)

Anonymous said...

Maya is adorable. I love her beautiful smiles.
Merrill

Candy said...

Oh my gosh you and steph I can't believe its been a year...WOW...I am fixing to post that same picture of Maya and Kya on my BLOG...and guess what Kya has that ROUND tummy in her swim suit this year too... I am so glad we all went through this together...I REALLY miss those HIGHS too. Hugs Candy and Kya Blu

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

That is a beautiful post. My computer is full of tears.

JuJu - said...

Beautiful post:)

Anonymous said...

Such feelings and emotions are shining through your words. I am pleased to see the happiness on all your faces. You all deserve happiness and you truly received it when you had your son, Bryan, and now your daughter, Maya. You have the perfect American family. Best wishes and keep on smilin.
Cuz Jenn