Thursday, August 24, 2006

MAYA IS SIX MONTHS OLD TODAY! ROBERT WOOD JOHNSON HOSPITAL NURSES WENT ON STRIKE AT 7AM TODAY(PGN DAY # 38)

Well, today has been some day! After months of negotiations , my hospital decided to strike. We began the strike at 7am. Prior to 7am, we were warned to clear out our lockers and remove our cars from the hospital's property. I did see one car actually getting towed. It was something I will never forget. We were out the door less than 5 minutes, when NY Channel 7 had a camera on us. My co-worker spoke well on our behalf.
The strike has a lot to do with insurance benefits, and unfair labor practices.
Many nurses had bills with them that were shown on NY Channel 7 and also on NJ Channel 12. These bills showed factual information of the unpaid costs when nurses have surgery at Robert Wood.
A nurse I work with had been charged over $11,000.00 and a nurse in the OR had been charged over $38,000.00. These surgeries should have been covered, but their surgeons were "out of network". In both cases, there was not any doctor "in network" who performed these 2 surgeries!!!
Although I strongly support the nurses and fighting for what is right, I am saddened by the care the patients are receiving from the agency nurses that "replaced" us.
Also, what is sad is the financial part of this strike. No work equals no pay. I am looking into other jobs, but without knowing how long this will last or when Maya will come home...How do I commit to a new job?
On top of my lack of sleep, and everything mentioned above, it is also Maya Grace's 6 month old birthday. I cannot write more than that, I am so emotional missing her.
Oh, and on the lighter side, I awoke to an army of ants this morning marching around the cat food in the kitchen!
I am ready to call it a day and it is just 4:30pm!
I hope to post more news soon, and I hope it is happier:)

2 comments:

JuJu - said...

Hey Guys - just letting you know we are sending prayers up for you and Maya Grace. We pray she will be home soon! Our thoughts are with you also and we are standing with you guys as you wait!

Julia

erinberry said...

Good luck with both your PGN wait and the strike! I hope an agreement can be made soon. My grandparents live close to RWJ in Trenton - not sure if that's the same location where you work.